According to chiropractors, the most common pain in people these days is sciatica pain, also called sciatica neuritis, sciatic neuralgia, or lumbar radiculopathy. Statistics show that lower back pain with radiation into the leg is a common disorder in North America.
Here’s what a chiropractor reveals when a patient came to him in agonizing pain caused by the condition. The patient crawled through halfway on his head and knees.
First, let’s explain what sciatica means. It is a condition that affects the back, hip, and outer side of the leg, caused by compression of a spinal nerve root in the lower back, as a result of degeneration of an intervertebral disk.
Lumbar disc herniation is a common cause of lower back and leg pain. A person may experience the following symptoms:dull or sharp pain, muscle spasm or cramping, sciatica, and leg weakness or loss of leg function.
Chiropractors and psychotherapists can be of a great help in treating the condition. They suggest that conservative care is required first and that surgery should be considered as a last treatment option.
Here are the treatments that they suggest:
- Heat/Ice therapy – beneficial in the early stages, heat packs or ice packs are used during the treatment. They can lower the pain and inflammation at the source of the problem. Heat loosens the muscles, while ice packs lower inflammation and swelling.
- Chiropractic Care and Physiotherapy – with this treatment there are various methods of treating included such as Electrotherapy, ultrasound and other modalities, soft tissue therapy, exercises, joint mobilization, and manipulation to help eliminate pain and stimulate proper motion.
- McKenzie Exercises – these exercises are recommended by chiropractors and physiotherapists because of their effectiveness effective in reducing leg pain and bringing the pain in the lower back.
- Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine – this traditional Chinese medicine method, as well as some others, have been proven to be able to significantly improve the symptoms of sciatica for many of the patients. Acupuncture includes using small needles, which are inserted through the skin and into muscles at certain points along our meridian channels. he needles cause micro-trauma to the muscles leading to the release of hormones called endorphins. Endorphins help to soothe the pain in the nerves and muscles.
- Lumbar Spine Traction and Decompression Therapy – this treatment is used by some therapists when there is no improvement in the patient’s state. They use manual and instrument assisted traction therapy to aid spread the lumbar vertebrae and enable the disc material to become re-absorbed into the outer disc material.
- Pain Medications like NSAIDs and Anti-inflammatory Supplements – if none of the methods mentioned above show any improvement, then consult with your physician about painkillers and anti-inflammatory medications. They are to be taken with great caution as they are known to cause heart problems. Consult with your physician and pharmacist before taking pain killers, since they can interfere with the other prescribed medications that you may be taking. If you don’t wanna risk it, go for anti-inflammatory supplements, like curcumin and fish oil, which are great alternatives.